Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Laundry Bombs!

I've tried several laundry detergent recipes...  Both liquid (which exploded all over my kitchen and was a ginormous mess, and then coagulated when I tried to use it) and powder, which I just didn't care for much.  This is my tried and true recipe.  I love, love, love it!  It's easy to make, it cleans really well, and it's super inexpensive.  Here's the link to the original recipe: http://www.savvysugar.com/All--One-Laundry-Bombs-31354476

I've tweaked a little bit to make it my own, so here's my recipe:
1 1/2 c. washing soda
1 c. Borax
1/2 c. Fels-Naptha
2 tbsp. Epsom salts
3 tbsp. hydrogen peroxide
1/4 c. vinegar
15-20 drops essential oil

I always double the recipe and it makes about 60 bombs.  I think it averages to be around .06 (yes, 6 cents) per load.  SCORE!

And of course, I have it written down in my Filofax so the recipe is always with me.  It's also easier to reference from here than from my iPad or computer.

Line a couple of baking sheets with parchment or wax paper, or aluminum foil, which is all I had at the moment.

Assemble all those ingredients!

Here's a tip: Buy a cheap mini food processor.  I got mine for under $10 and all I use it for is to grate soap.  SO much faster than grating it by hand!

Dice up the Fels-Naptha first.

It looks like grated cheese. 

Toss the Fels-Naptha, washing soda and epsom salts into the boil.  Add hydrogen peroxide and vinegar.  (This is my favorite part.  When you add the vinegar it fizzes and makes me feel very mad scientist. Mwahahahaha!)  Then, add the essential oil.  I'd recommend grabbing some inexpensive oil from a health food store as opposed to using DoTerra or a more concentrated brand.  My favorite scents are Wild Orange and Lavender.

Stir it all together.

I use a small cookie scoop for this part.
Scoop them onto your cookie sheets.

And lastly, give them a good squirt of vinegar.  This helps them harden up.  Leave them for 8-10 hours. (I usually just let mine dry overnight.)

There ya go!  I love these things.  They work great in my HE washer, too.  I LOVE these!  I store them in a pretty glass jar that could really use a vinyl decoration on it. Anyone? Anyone? :)  Hope you like them as much as I do!

1 comment:

  1. I knew I forgot something!! I'm writing it down right now.......Laundry Soap......is that in a script type font or do you want whimsey?

    ReplyDelete